[Ardour-Users] trouble with retaining microphone connectivity over multiple sessions in Ardou

Cameron Metcalf podeas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:08:34 PDT 2015

Paul,
Thanks for specifying where to type in the device name.
I had selected the option "hw: VSL" from this dropdown earlier and then
moved the INPUT and OUTPUT selectors to "default". restarted jack, rebooted
the station, etc. But Ardour3 would still not detect the microphone, so I
went back and did re-select the specific INPUT and OUTPUT. I'm going to try
this again, later on today, though and re-enstate defaults for INPUT and
OUTPUT.

To restate the problem:
On a fresh install of Ubuntu studio, I accept all the defaults when
starting qjack, then Ardour3:
Ardour3 works perfectly and I can record from microphone that is fed
through the presonus external sound card. I can add as many tracks and play
them back no problem.

However on a system reboot (and subsequent reboots), the microphone is no
longer detected at all, when I add a new audio track and cue record, for
either an existing project or a new project, even though I have not changed
the configuration.  Then I verify that qjack is set to see my soundcard (by
name) as I have previously outlined, but Ardour3 still will not
detect/record from the microphone going through the external sound card.

Cameron