[Ardour-Users] trouble with retaining microphone connectivity over multiple sessions in Ardou

Cameron Metcalf podeas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:08:59 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble getting Ardour to receive audio signal from my mic.

The microphone is going through a presonus AudioBox 22VSL.

I've set up a fresh instance of Ubuntu Studio 14.04 on a 5 year-old Dell
optiplex work station.

Following the initial installation, I am able to start up Jack, then check
the settings and ensure that the Presonus AudioBox is selected for both
inputs and outputs.

I open Ardour3 and start a new session: I add a stereo track. Right away, I
can see that the meters are responding. I can record a short sound and play
it back clearly.

I close Ardour, I close Jack. I shut down the machine.

I reboot and open Jack (start it) then open Ardour but it will NOT
acknowledge the microphone and I cannot resume working on the file. I've
tried installing ardour on different distros, different versions of ardour
but I am unable to resolve this.  I've checked forums looking at how to
connect the microphone on linux and know that I am successful as I outlined
above. However I'm unable to retain a usable connection after the system
has been shutdown.

I thought maybe it had something to do with updates, so I started declining
those, but the problem still persists.

Please let me know if there is something obvious I can do to resolve this.
I have done my fair share of research to see if I could resolve this
problem on my own but have had no luck.

Any suggestions on this topic would be appreaciated.

Cameron