[Ardour-Users] behavior of "close region gaps" – bug or by design?

Lukas Pirl ardour at lukas-pirl.de
Sun Dec 13 02:07:59 PST 2015

tl;dr: "close region gaps" overlaps regions w/o x-fade – intended?

Hi list,

running 4.4.0, I wondered today about the behavior of the "close region
gaps" functionality.

Personally, I'd consider this as a bug but I thought I re-check with
you folks before putting it into the tracker.

Steps to reproduce:
* e.g. split a region and select the two newly created regions
* open Region -> Edit -> "close gaps"
* apply it with values to your gusto

Observed behavior:
* pull-back is applied
* regions overlap by <cross fade length>
* no cross fade / regions layered

Expected behavior:
* pull-back is applied
* regions overlap by <cross fade length>
* default cross fade applied to upper region overlap
  (depending on layering settings)

Also I was wondering why both values of the dialog are not persistent
or even stored in the session.
For editors that do need to make a lot of "split-and-crossfade", it
would be utterly helpful to have a keyboard shortcut to apply default
pull-backs and cross fades. (Even <hotkey> + enter – as in the specific
case – would be a great help.)
Or is there another work flow that I am not aware of?

One last thing: what is the reason for the maximum of 30ms pull-back
and 15ms cross fade length? I do not see the point in restricting those
values (the lengths of the regions matter, of course).

Screenshots attached.

Best,

Lukas