[Ardour-Users] [HALF SOLVED] Re: Using the Redux VST

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Aug 29 07:48:39 PDT 2015

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:05:10 +0200
Mathias Buhr <napcode at apparatus.de> wrote:

Hallo !

> That particular plugin indeed has 24 outputs. Ardour treats these
> outputs as a surround sound configuration. Unfortunately, these
> outputs are basically 24 individual mono outputs so panning them
> doesn't really make sense. If you don't require these outputs and just
> want a stereo configuration you could remove/delete the superfluous
> audio ports in the routing grid of the track. That is a bit cumbersome
> to do though.

I do not mind them much for the moment.  I noticed in the Ardour user
guide that the MIDI+Audio track type was given a use case with
Reaktor.  Giving it a try with Redux yielded very good results.  The
audio was immediately connected.  Although Redux's MIDI jacks are not
shown in qjackctl, using Ardour made it easy to connect an external
keyboard.  Yesterday I tried a MIDI only type of track w/o success.
Whereas I was able to get audio by adding Redux to an audio track,
there was no connection for MIDI control.  Fazit, a MIDI+Audio track is
the way to go :)

> Some other tips: I think you need to press the In button to tell
> Ardour which "MIDI source" to use. Did you use a MIDI keyboard to
> control redux? If you create midi clip or just load one into the track
> you should hear the output without pressing any buttons.

The MIDI+Audio 'other' inputs in Tracks and Busses dialog box shows the
external MIDI keyboard.

> Another one:
> Instead of placing your VSTs into /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib you could
> create a .vst directory in your home and add it to the VST_PATH (place
> this in your .profile):

That might be why Reaktor is not shown in Ardour's plugin browser.

Tschüß.