[Ardour-Users] High number of crashes

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Aug 24 20:02:45 PDT 2015

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:13:03 -0400
"jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> I think I will start to break projects in distinct sessions.  It might
> be too much to have 5 groups, each with 8+ tracks, and many tracks with
> effects (Calf and Gx, actually, both compiled from recent source).

I have been experiencing a number of crashes, all of which directly coincide
with me trying to do something with one of the Calf plugins.  I like them when
they work, but have always been problematic for me on Arch using the AUR
calf-git package.  I keep going back to try them when I update either the
plugins or Ardour with no real success.

For example, I can add the calf compressor, but opening it up that first
time is a guaranteed freeze requiring a kill -9.  If I add it, save, then
close and reopen the session I'm (mostly) OK.

As Paul mentions elsewhere in the thread, "the entire concept of plugins
is really a very disturbing one."  Some work better than others.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com