[Ardour-Users] Muted tracks processing

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Aug 24 19:43:40 PDT 2015

On 08/25/2015 03:36 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 03:02:47 +0200
> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
>> If you want to disable effect processors and mute the complete track:
>> deactivate the track. Right click on the track-header in the editor to
>> do so. Note that this can only be done while the transport is stopped
>> and cannot be automated.
>
> OK, thanks.  less data going through the plug-ins might mean less
> chances of crashing (!).

Maybe. It can also be parameter-changes or init/de-init that's the
problematic part, or displaying a plugin-GUI..

> Speaking of, it is not easy to install a new OS.  Many things to
> consider and, downtime and, not certain that everything will be fine
> afterwards.  So, is there a real solid advantage in using KXstudio,
> based on the mention that the link statically everything

Not everything. As far as I know, only plugins are statically linked.
Maybe falktx (CCed) can elaborate.
The main motivation for doing so is to isolate plugins which use
libraries which are not thread-safe or not re-entrant (e.g libfftw).

Statically linking plugins on GNU/Linux is mainly a stop-gap solution,
but on other platforms (most notably windows) this is a requirement
because one cannot easily ship a libraries with a plugin or cannot
expect an existing lib to be API and ABI compatible if you ship
binaries. The KXStudio/DISTRHO plugins also run on OSX and Windows.

> (assuming this
> approach provides more stability) but moreover, how does Ardour 4.x
> binary distributions fits in ?

KXStudio ships Ardour binaries from ardour.org (as-is, incl the complete
dependency stack, just wrapped in a .deb). Since it's GPL one can
re-distribute it.

best,
robi