[Ardour-Users] NRPNs

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Apr 21 13:17:11 PDT 2015

What sort of interpretation does Ardour give these? I thought they would just
be passed on as-seen but apparently not.

I loaded a MIDI file with the following sequence:

99 -> 64 = us
98 -> 0 = direct voice control
6 -> 0 = set actual voice number to process (not MIDI channel number)
38 -> 18 = voice 18
6 -> 1 = set instrument number
38 -> 2 = instrument 2
6 -> 2 = set controller
38 -> 7 = controller is volume
6 -> 3 = set controller MSB
38 -> 10
6 -> 4 = set controller LSB
38 -> 5

In this instance the data MSB (6) is being used as a command/index not a value.

What I'm seeing is first a long line of NRPN LSB 0s, then the correct NRPN
followed by the correct data MSBs intermixed with bursts of seemingly random
data LSBs that screw everything up :(

P.S.
The values were chosen to be easily identifiable rather than particularly
useful.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk