[Ardour-Users] Ardour 4.0 rc3

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 13 05:20:44 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Lukas Pirl <ardour at lukas-pirl.de> wrote:

> On 04/11/2015 04:52 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> > we need a more nuanced model here. Some combination of
> > most-recently-touched and later-is-higher.
>
> Currently, Ardour (3) does not clearly indicate when/why a region
> actually gets layered above another (esp. when suddenly "earlier is
> higher").
>
> I manually sort regions to "later is higher". Since "raise one layer" is
> quite cumbersome, I always use "raise to top" and take the burden of
> "raise to top" all subsequent, overlapping regions.
>
> I think less freedom and less complexity with a more obvious layering
> model could be beneficial. For me, "later is higher" works great. Ardour
> wouldn't be the first DAW to work this. And finally, is there any case
> that cannot be achieved using "later is higher"?

there are many. they are not obvious. they involve quite different sorts of
workflows from each other. if you only tend to do one of these workflows,
you'll never imagine the other cases on your own.

Ardour2 has 4 different layering models. This level of complexity was
difficult for users and difficult for developers.

and to confirm what Axel wrote, Ardour3/4's layering corresponds to
something close to what Ardour2 called "last added is higher", with a heavy
dose of "manual".