[Ardour-Users] Ardour 4.0 rc3

Lukas Pirl ardour at lukas-pirl.de
Mon Apr 13 00:22:59 PDT 2015

On 04/11/2015 04:52 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> we need a more nuanced model here. Some combination of
> most-recently-touched and later-is-higher.

Currently, Ardour (3) does not clearly indicate when/why a region
actually gets layered above another (esp. when suddenly "earlier is
higher").

I manually sort regions to "later is higher". Since "raise one layer" is
quite cumbersome, I always use "raise to top" and take the burden of
"raise to top" all subsequent, overlapping regions.

I think less freedom and less complexity with a more obvious layering
model could be beneficial. For me, "later is higher" works great. Ardour
wouldn't be the first DAW to work this. And finally, is there any case
that cannot be achieved using "later is higher"?

Lukas