[Ardour-Users] MIDI program change - no longer a problem

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Nov 26 12:59:38 PST 2014

Once I was able to find a workaround for the unwanted bank changes, I was able
to run the file and prove a MIDI source was sending corrupted files - either
that or 4 different sequencers all had the same error!

However, I would suggest you re-think the issue of forcing a bank change to
zero when none has been sent. The MIDI spec defines this as the General Midi
bank - something I don't think I ever use. There is no requirement in the spec
to send bank changes with program changes. Some synths do (send the current
bank) others don't bother.

All the hardware synths I've come across will set a received program change to
one on the current bank if there no bank change. My QS300 will do that silently
if the new program has the same effects. If it gets a bank change there is a
total break in the sound output. My MK1 Soundcanvas is similar, and my SY35
doesn't recognise bank changes over MIDI anyway!

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.