[Ardour-Users] ardour with yosemite?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Nov 16 11:12:01 PST 2014

On 11/15/2014 07:36 PM, . m u r m e r . wrote:
> On 2014.11.15 17:53 , Robin Gareus wrote:
>> When upgrading to Yosemite jack keeps working, but on a new install of
>> OS 10.10 you'll run into https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues/73
>>
>> I can't comment on Ardour2, but Ardour 3 (here: recent git) runs very
>> well on 10.10.
>
> thanks paul and robin. i'm using jackosx 0.89 - i have a very vague
> memory of having trouble installing a newer version sometime in the past
> and reverting to this one.

On OSX, Ardour 3.5.X can use coreaudio directly - jack is no longer
required (though handy).

anyway here: jackOSX 0.90 (jackd 1.9.10) works fine.

> robin, are you happily using ardour 3 on os x?

No, I can't say that. I prefer GNU/Linux whenever possible and these
days I'm more working on Ardour that actually using it.

> not too many bugs or missing functionality (plugin states, etc)?

I think the free beta-release binary from ardour.org does not save
plugin state, but I don't now for certain.

Bugs? Not more than the Linux version. There's a few OSX specific
issues: dialog-window layering and some AU instrument plugins cause crashes.

You can run A3 directly from the .dmg on OSX or just install it in
parallel to Ardour2. Just give it a try.

cheers!
robin

PS. As for the OSX update, timemachine can roll you back from Yosemite
to Mavericks (you need a DVD or USB boot though, but it's not
complicated, search the web)