[Ardour-Users] Punch in/out basics

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat May 3 13:21:50 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com
<jonetsu at teksavvy.com>wrote:

>  This will enable punch in/out at the punch in/out markers.
>
> Is it possible to not create another track instance and overwrite the
> track that is already there ?  Currently if the track is name-1.1 and
> a punch-in/out is made on that track in a limited region, the
> punch-in/out will be name-2.1.  I prsume name-1.1 still exists
> underneath.  Is it possible to overwrite inside the name-1.1 track ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for, but I think you are
asking for destructive recording.

Ardour is a non-destructive, non-linear editor. It does support destructive
recording, but this functionality is (a) highly specialized (b) highly not
recommended (c) broken in 3.x for some time.

When you record in Ardour, you ALWAYS create a new file on disk (except
when using destructive tracks). What you can do later is to combine regions
into one "logical" region, an operation that is extremely fast since it
does not write any new (audio) data to disk. This option is only available
for audio tracks.