[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3 - export bugs

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Thu Jul 3 16:54:38 PDT 2014

On mer, 2014-07-02 at 20:06 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com>
> wrote:
>

>         On 07/02/2014 03:14 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>         > if you mean "crossfades that automatically span the entire
>         > length of an overlap" ... i have some loose plans to
>         > reinstate it as an option after an initial overlap is
>         > created. i have no plans to reinstate tracking the overlap
>         > length and updating the crossfade based on that.
>         >

>         that's a shame since it made working on quick and dirty sound
>         design prototyping very easy - I guess I'll just have to use
>         the fade-in fade-out handles and kludge my own cross fades
>         then :\
>

> Just for the record, I agree with Kim in this situation.  And I will
> point out an old mantra I teach my students "There are many right ways
> to do something in audio".
>

> There are wrong ways yes, but often times in audio it can be right in
> many different ways.  In this case, I often use the region overlaps as
> it is MUCH quicker than many other options (And any other option I
> know of) and I can get results that are often quite acceptable,
> especially on material that is not in the forefront of the mix.  Of
> course I work on a variety of material, and while I find it more
> common in some workflows to use region overlap crossfades, I do find I
> often use it in some form or another on all workflows.
>

> Of course I made this comment on IRC some time ago, but missed the
> initial discussion on this particular 'feature'.  I can understand
> removing it for the purpose of increasing stability, don't get me
> wrong, but I would encourage rethinking eventually the plans for this
> feature.
>

>        Seablade

    +1.  i also was involved in some discussion about this on IRC and
agree with Seablade, Kim, etc.: i would greatly appreciate an option
which allows Ardour to create an auto xfade ala A2, even if it does not
track changes to the involved regions and update the xfade (i.e. there
is no XFADE object).  this is a handy feature for quick prototypes that
could default to off in standard A3.  in this situation, i assume that
removing the overlap and redoing it would recreate the xfade anew?

peace,