[Ardour-Users] Ardour business continuity

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 3 04:28:45 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Tim <ardour at linux-daw.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I absolutly appreciate the work Paul and all others do and especially
> Pauls work seems to be the core of Ardour.
> But what will happen when Paul can't continue (what I never will hope) due
> to e.g. illness or the worst case of death?
> Are there any continuity plans?

Everything about Ardour's development is out in the open. So there are no
secrets that I carry around. Several other developers have long-term and
deep knowledge of the code. Anyone could build a source release of Ardour,
and binary releases (while a bit more complex) are already available from
most Linux repositories without any involvement from me.

If Ardour was developed by a conventional commercial process, it would be
insane to have allowed me to become so critical to the development. But it
isn't developed that way, and so I remain rather central to many things. In
some small ways, my centrality is actually going down these days rather
than up, which is a good thing.

What would happen if I stopped working on Ardour? There's no way to answer
that without it actually happening.