[Ardour-Users] Ardour with multiple cheap (USB) audio interfaces.

Neil djdualcore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 09:42:13 PST 2014

At my Ohio Linux Fest talk I had a question about this, to which I gave a
rather unsatisfying answer.  I didn't know about the
http://jackaudio.org/multiple_devices document.  I would be interested in
helping document this further.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 01/11/2014 02:25 AM, ChaosEsque Team wrote:
> > Hi, I'm really interested in helping people who want to use Ardour
> > with multiple cheap (USB) audio interfaces. It doesn't seem very easy
> > right now to do this sort of thing - in fact, I'm not even clear if
> > it is possible
>
> It is possible, but you're quite right that it's not very accessible,
> mainly  because there is no GUI to set this up. You'll need to resort to
> a few terminal commands.
>
> Ardour uses JACK, so the goal is go add an additional soundcard to jack.
> There are various options to do this, most of which are described at
> http://jackaudio.org/multiple_devices
>
> > and I'd appreciate some guidance because I think
> > this is really important group of people: folks that can't afford
> > multichannel interfaces and lots of amps, the sort of people who
> > might really be attracted to a tool like Ardour.
>
> Fair point. As explained on the linked page, it is not ideal to use
> multiple un-synced soundcards, but it can be good enough for many cases.
> The easiest way to do so on GNU/Linux is to to use alsa_in/out:
>
> First start jackd as usual with one soundcard - and then add the others
> as needed.  This is as easy as opening a terminal and running
>    alsa_in -d hw:1
> This adds the 1st soundcard (hw:1) inputs to an already running jackd.
>
> Instead of numeric IDs you can also use the name of the soundcard.
> Device and their names can be listed with 'aplay -l'. For example
>
> [..snip..]
> card 3: UA25 [UA-25], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> in this case 'alsa_in -d hw:3' is equivalent to 'alsa_in -d hw:UA-25'
>
> To add outputs use the sister of alsa_in: 'alsa_out -d hw:DEVICE'
>
> Hope that helps,
> robin
>

> PS. there are ways to automate this process as well as auto-detect,
> auto-launch. Yet, this is mostly undocumented territory and requires a
> bit of scripting which builds upon above concept. More later if you're
> interested..

DJ Dual Core's Blog
http://oldmixtapes.blogspot.com/
Order without government; Peace without violence.