[Ardour-Users] vinyl-sampling and mastering

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Feb 14 05:05:27 PST 2014

On 02/14/2014 01:49 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Guido Budack <glaivy at yandex.com
> <mailto:glaivy at yandex.com>> wrote:
>
>     hi folks,
>
>     have here some old vinyl samples and the samples include the
>     original scratches.
>     my quest to the community is....
>     which filter to apply in such a scenario and where to get?
>     already installed?
>
>     I want to save time and work efficient so I ask before I start
>     'trial and error mode' again...
>     work on more than one projects - guess people can follow me... :-/
>
>     just some quick remark in form of keywords or links 'd be great...
>

> there are really no "very good" open source plugins for noise removal.
>
> you will get a couple of suggestions for how to approach it with open
> source, but ultimately this is an area where a couple of companies (in
> particular Izotope) that produce proprietary plugins for OS X and
> Windows are way, way ahead of the competition.

i was going to suggest the same. if it's just a few cherished
recordings, you can try audacity and lots of manual work. but if you
want to plough through 50+ recordings, you really want to find a mac or
windows machine somewhere and get izotope or a similar product.
after doing the math, you may find that it might be more economical to
hand your records to a professional audio restoration shop, depending on
how many records you are planning to digitize. reputable shops will
offer you a short demo of what they can do, before you commit yourself.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net