[Ardour-Users] Start w/o mixer panel

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Aug 4 12:30:24 PDT 2014

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 07:41:48 +0200,
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote :

> Learning rudimentary English for software usage is easier, than to use
> several applications in another language, than the default language,
> wich usually is English.

This is a (adj of choice) over-simplification.  For instance, I never
chose to have Ardour in French (although I like it).  It is the
operating system that's set up for French.  Software packages detect
that and react accordingly.  And favorably I must say.

I don't know about Windows these days but there was a time where one
would have to buy a specific language version.  Not so with Linux.
Never has been.  That's one aspect of freedom of choice.

Now, that characters, as Robin mentioned, are not handled properly by
software is another matter and should be fixed.  Either allow so-called
'extended' characters and handle them, or do not allow them at all.
Nowadays this is I think mostly taken care of in libraries used.

I mentioned the use of Ardour in French as a joke for the sourc eof the
problem, but I hope this is not the case.  I guess I could test it by
setting the proper environment variables.

I'm not using French characters in track names or any other input
field.  My keyboard is usually English but I switch to German for
writing in French (easier for me as I'm more confortable with German
keyboard layout) and that's emails and such.  Not Ardour.  I do use
dots though recently to name the tracks, as in:

generator.soundName

Q.flute  for Qsynth flute sound)
Z.rhodes for Zyn
88.piano2 for M-Audio Pro88 piano, etc...

I hope dots are not causing problems ! :)