[Ardour-Users] 3.4 Meterbridge infinite loop

John Rigg au2 at jrigg.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 11:37:41 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 08:15:54PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 09/11/2013 04:41 PM, John Rigg wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 03:17:39PM +0100, John Rigg wrote:
> >> If I enable the Meterbridge in the Window menu in 3.4-102-gbea5434
> >> it appears in the upper left corner of the screen, but it flickers
> >> rapidly between two different window sizes and several views. It
> >> looks like it's in an infinite loop.
> >>
> >> Before I report it on Mantis, has anyone else experienced this?
> >> I had to compile 3.4 using system libs, as my slow internet connection
> >> makes it very difficult to download all the recommended libraries.
> >>
> >> This is on a Debian 7.1 amd64 system, which uses libgtk2 version 2.24.10.
> >
> > Further info. It appears to behave correctly if I open a session with 3 or
> > more tracks in addition to the master bus. Opening a session with fewer
> > tracks triggers the behaviour. Removing tracks from a larger session also
> > triggers it (or sometimes just shows a blank Meterbridge window) as soon as
> > the track count gets below three.
>
> Which window-manager do you use?

WindowMaker. This is with a 1280x1024 monitor.

> The meterbridge window tries to set a minimum size and also constrains
> the height to factors of 16. -- Not quite sure if that's gdk/gtk and/or
> WM related -- I've seen similar things happen on OSX and look into it.

I've tried dragging the borders of the window to change the size, but can only
alter the size within a fairly narrow range. This also happens with the main
editor and mixer windows, but the range of sizes is wider and there isn't a
problem with those.

On further testing the only time the Meterbridge works correctly is if I
restart ardour3 and then open a session with enough existing tracks. Adding
tracks to a new empty session doesn't work until ardour3 is restarted. Just
closing and reopening the session isn't enough. Once it's working it continues
to do so unless tracks are removed, then if it gets below a certain width it
breaks again.

John