[Ardour-Users] latency accuracy

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Oct 25 13:13:42 PDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 09:07 PM, muzzol wrote:
> I know qjackctl is doing an estimation on latency, but how accurate is ardour ?

qjackctl is not estimating but calculating the nominal round-trip latency:

latency = (period size) * (number of periods per cycle) / (sample rate)

This nominal latency is the ideal case. Usually the total latency is
larger. With generic hardware the only way to learn about the total
round-trip latency is to measure it. Ardour - since version 3.5 - has a
built-in tool to do so.

Some general information (predating 3.5) can be found at
http://manual.ardour.org/synchronization/latency-and-latency-compensation/

Cheers!
robin