[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.5 released

outro pessoa outro.pessoa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 08:32:55 PDT 2013

On 10/17/13, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> Another month, another Ardour update release. 3.5 doesn't include any major
> new features, but does come with a major architectural change and
> improvements in two significant aspects of workflow. As usual you can
> download it from the usual place <https://community.ardour.org/download>,
> and as usual subscribers get this update without cost.
>
> Ardour is now (theoretically) no longer dependent on JACK. The
> functionality provided by JACK has been abstracted to allow 3rd parties to
> provide implementations that directly use various platform native audio and
> MIDI APIs (such as CoreAudio on OS X or ASIO on Windows).
>
> Of course, Ardour can still be run with JACK, and this option is not going
> away. We hope to see these other "backends" emerge over the next few
> months. For now, users should not experience any functional changes when
> using Ardour.
>
> This has led to many improvements in the Ardour source code and some
> visible changes as the program starts up. Read more below for some details.
> Is Ardour3 released for OS X yet?
>
> As usual, OS X users are stuck with a beta demo
> release<https://community.ardour.org/files/Ardour-3.5-64bit.dmg>though
> unlike previous releases this is for
> *64 bit OS X 10.7 and later only*. It will not run on early systems. We
> hope to have some resources to put into OS X after 3.7 is released.
> What's up next?
>
> The next major release 3.6 will feature an entirely new "canvas" for
> drawing and managing the editor window's main track display. Release 3.7
> will be focused on significant fixes and improvements for MIDI workflows.
> Changes
>

>    - audio and midi I/O has been moved out of the core of Ardour into
>    module(s) that are loaded dynamically
>       - the JACK menu item in the main menu bar has been removed
>       - a new window, the audio/MIDI Setup dialog can be accessed from the
>       Windows menu
>       - the audio/MIDI setup dialog allows precise calibration of I/O
>       latency. It does the same job as jack_iodelay, but is fully
>       integrated into Ardour itself.
>       - the audio/MIDI setup dialog can also be used to change everything
>       about JACK's configuration IF it used to start JACK. This means
> that if you
>       do use it to start JACK, you can dynamically change sample rate,
> the device
>       in use, etc.
>       - possible to specify the use of the new-ish JACK2 "alsarawmidi"
>       slave driver, and the not-yet-released JACK1 "alsa_midi" slave
> driver.
>       These both provide better timing and lower latency for MIDI
> routing to/from
>       hardware than either of the two legacy options. Similar options exist
> for
>       OS X (or will when we do an official release).
>       - if you start JACK outside of Ardour (e.g. via qjackctl or
>       JackPilot) than the audio/MIDI setup dialog can still be used to
> [...]

What goes into the waf script beforehand? If I and/or others can
manipulate this for the FreeBSD environment, then it would be an
installable suite without a dependency on "third party" scripts. In
re: FreeBSD ports install. That community encourages a direct native
installation to be done before having to modify in the Makefile.