[Ardour-Users] A3 MIDI latency adjustment technique/advice

Brett Clark brett.clark at zirous.com
Thu Nov 14 06:41:24 PST 2013

One of the first things I did after moving to A3 was to setup a template to
track my drums (electronic) as both audio and midi.  This way i can retrack
the drums using different (better?) drumkits than the drummer originally
chose while keeping his performance.  I admit that I have to wait until my
drummer is busy ( went home / passed out / hitting on my wife / watching a
Muppet Show episode ) before i do that.  When i tested this out last night
i noticed quite a bit of latency when playing back from midi and,
fortunately, I also found that A3 has an adjustment for midi latency.

Question: Is there a technique, A3 option, or other software that i can use
to determine the precise measurement of the latency?  I see that A3 allows
latency adjustments with incredible precision beyond what a human could
figure out.

  Last night i ear-balled it by playing both the original audio AND the
midi track simultaneously, but the closer i got them together the more
trouble i had getting them to merge together.

BTW: A3 Rocks!!!   I was happy with v0.99, tickled with v2.x, but A3 has
exceeded my expectations.

Thanks
--Brett