[Ardour-Users] clicks/peaks removal

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 22 00:59:06 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 08:28 +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> I'd like to remove some clicks (or peaks) in a voice, cause by P
> pronounced too close to the microphone.
> How can I achieve that in Ardour?
>
> I've googled, searched the archives and skimmed through the manual but I
> couldn't find any information.
>
> I've tried to normalize the region. The red peaks disappeared but I
> still can hear the P.
> Then I've played a bit with an highpass filter, but it's too strong.
>
> Thanks in advance

It's impossible to get rid of artefacts by a bad recording. You need
hardware, a so called pop filter [1] and a compressor when recording
vocals, but the compressor is less used for the p-issue, it's more
effective against the s-issue.
It's impossible to make the "cornered" signal as "round" as expected, so
you'll always hear distortion.

[1]
http://www.google.de/search?q=pop+filter&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rQ1MUeXBB4_CswaPzYH4Ag&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=726