[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 is released

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Mar 10 19:21:15 PDT 2013

The Ardour team is happy to announce the release of Ardour 3.0 for Linux
systems (OS X releases will follow in a few weeks)

This is the first release of Ardour that features support for MIDI
recording, playback and editing. It also features a huge number of
changes to audio workflow, which for many users may be more
significant than the MIDI support. For an overview of the changes,
please read the What's New page at http://ardour.org/whatsnew.html

Please Plan On Updating
-------------------------------

You should visit expect subsequent releases of 3.0 to follow at a
rapid rate. We plan to release a new version every 2-4 weeks. Since
3.0 has many areas that need to be improved in addition to actual
bugs, please plan on upgrading and keeping track of the program as it
develops. There is every chance that the problem you encounter today
will be solved in a short time.

No Need To Remove Other Versions
This release can be installed on your system at the same time as any
previous or future version of Ardour. They will not interfere with
each other in anyway, except for possibly sharing your Ardour
preferences.

Working with 2.X Sessions
--------------------------------
Although Ardour 3.0 will open most sessions created with Ardour 2.X,
we recommend NOT working on such sessions with Ardour 3.0. Ardour 2.X
will continue to be available and may even see occasional maintainance
updates from time to time. If you have old sessions, continue to work
on them with Ardour 2.

If you insist on opening existing Ardour 2.X sessions with 3.0, be aware
that...

  - a backup copy of the 2.X version of the session file will be created
  - panning information will be lost
  - crossfades may not precisely match their 2.X counterparts
  - once you save a session in Ardour 3.0, Ardour 2.X will not be able
    to open the main session file again. It will, however, be able to
    use the backup that 3.0 created

Download
As usual, you can get Ardour 3.0 from our Download page at

     http://ardour.org/download