[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.2 release - Video comes to Ardour!

John Rigg au2 at jrigg.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 02:13:49 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 09:04:50AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Joe, are you using Ardour 3 in your smooth running days?  I'm
> about to make the jump from 2 to 3, at least as an experiment,
> and want to know what I'll experience.  My use is strictly audio,
> no MIDI nor video yet.  I record, then mix with plug-ins and some
> automation.
>
> Is Ardour 3 recommended over Ardour 2 yet?

My use case is similar. I haven't made the switch to A3 for production
work yet. A3 has a lot of nice improvements but a couple of things are
stopping me from switching for now.

I make heavy use of gain envelope drawing in A2. In A3 this behaves
differently, as two control points are created with each mouse
click instead of one as in A2. I have to delete the second
point manually almost every time, which is too much of a slowdown.

The other problem for me is the automatic appending of export filenames
in A3 (weighed up against A2's inability to export a complete file with
SRC). I really need to be able to choose the full filename.

If neither of those bother you, go ahead. A3 is otherwise very usable
for audio-only work.

John