[Ardour-Users] midi plugin on audio+midi track

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 07:06:41 PST 2013

On 12/27/2013 09:48 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM, David Santamauro
> <david.santamauro at gmail.com <mailto:david.santamauro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I just didn't realize that audio+midi was envisaged as a solution to
>     a specific problem. It is a very convenient template for MIDI being
>     sent either to an external tone generator or even over netjack to
>     another machine with software instruments.
>

> That should work just fine with a normal MIDI track.

... and it does. But audio+midi is 1 track, midi + audio return(s) is 2
tracks. So for every software instrument 2 tracks are required and with
a small orchestra ensemble, they add up quickly.

Just a matter of convenience, not functionality. I found a nice
aesthetic work-around: hide the midi tracks in the mixer and hide their
corresponding audio tracks in the editor -- nice compromise.

David