[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 24 11:49:44 PDT 2013

On 24/04/13 19:35, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:17:00 +0100
> Q <lists at quirq.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, nothing's blown
>> my speakers yet and dodgy plugins seems to be a far more common
>> occurrence than accidentally setting up a feedback loop.
>
> Au contraire, Pierre!
>
> When I was mixing a session Sunday, I was too lazy to set up the
> Firewire mixer I use as my primary audio interface and instead used my
> Delta 1010.  When I do that, I set up an extra monitoring bus so that
> I have a fader to adjust my volume without affecting the master level.
> In doing so, I inadvertently set up a feedback loop and saw the master
> meter peak and the feedback indicator flash.  I've done this before in
> A2 to rather unpleasant results!  I don't recall ever having a plugin
> mess up that badly, but I use a fairly limited set of them.
>
> Thank Paul that he disables the audio in such a case.  I could have
> blown my monitors and hurt my ears otherwise.  I really do not want this
> default behavior to change!!

It just goes to show how much variance there is in the way people work
and use Ardour.

I've never accidentally set up a feedback loop. I have had loads of
issues over the years with plugins spiking. I'm starting to use a more
limited set of plugins now and it's also one of the reasons I finally
went down the payware route.

I think the spikes I had recently in A3 were around the 50 dB mark
(caused by a free one, but I can't remember what it was). But even that
can be very painful, especially on phones. But the 600+ dB spikes I've
had on A2 in the past take some beating. That's something I'd like to
see stopped, I don't need saving from myself :-)