[Ardour-Users] Odd clipping

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 00:29:37 PDT 2012

On 27 Sep 2012, at 07:57, Ben Bell wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 05:01:50PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>>>  http://twitpic.com/ax819i/full
>>>
>>> Is this just normal pre-amp or ADC clipping, or have I perhaps got an
>>> electrical problem with my signal chain somewhere (mic->mixer->interface)?

The good waveform is noticeably more symmetric than the problematic one.  My first guess would be that somebody's dropped that microphone at some point.  Try a different mic and see if that solves the problem.

If it doesn't, there could be some source of asymmetry in the signal chain.  Are you using a compressor on this channel?  Or if you're using an analog desk, there could be some DC bias creeping in somewhere.  If changing the mic doesn't help, switch it to a different channel on the mixer.  This is the kind of issue that you can only resolve successfully through trial and error.

John