[Ardour-Users] syncing two machines

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Tue Jun 26 09:06:35 PDT 2012

I'm developing a new four channel sound piece for a fall tour
and have been looking for a USB I/O audio card with four analog outputs

[caveat: I don't a load of money to spend on an RME card]

I have yet to find a USB I/O that has what I need and works out of the
box with Linux

I've read that some units like the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
require a Windows/OS X app to configure the analog outputs
i.e. they don't come up 'live' but need to be 'switched on' from an app
(IIRC)

note: I don't have ffado running and my laptop doesn't have a 'real'
Firewire connection
I tried to get the 1394 connector and ffado working with a PreSonus
Firebox with no success

so one possible workaround might be to use two laptops: my 15" and a netbook
both running Ardour (netbook has been tested with Ardour and works)
with each soundcard (iMic) contributing two channels to a mixer where
it's routed to four speakers

the piece doesn't require frame sync accuracy
starting on time is priority but any sloppiness on ending can be futzed
by manually fading out one machine

but I was wondering how to sync the two laptops via MIDI sync or MTC?
is it as simple as using MTC, hooking up two MIDI interfaces and making
one a Master?

I'm also thinking that I could use my Korg nanokontrol transport
controls to start both machines and control faders in separate
machines...any issues here?

RTFM: I saw a few posts on the Ardour blog but all seemed very problem
specific
and not a general 'how to'
<http://ardour.org/node/1504>if so can someone give me a pointer to some
info I'd be grateful