[Ardour-Users] Delta1010 + Edirol FA-101

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Jul 8 15:17:47 PDT 2012

On Saturday 07 July 2012 16:31:45 Ben Bell wrote:
> At the moment I'm finding myself starved of channels a little too often
> and am wondering about either upgrading my soundcard (to what?) or trying
> to run the 1010 and FA-101 together (clock-linked).

The later is working. And with clock-synced sound-cards, alsa_in and alsa_out
don't need to resample at all...

> From what I can tell the only way to do this would be to use the jack with
> the FFADO driver and use alsa_in and alsa_out to bring in the Delta 1010.
> This isn't ideal as the 1010 is comfortably wired as my primary interface
> with the FA-101 more in a position to be used for occasional auxiliary
> purposes. It's also a bit of a faff in Jack with one set of system inputs
> and the rest showing up as a client.

The hardware is also only a backend (but with the "I am hardware" flag set).

> And while I'm at it, I take it FFADO could only access one device at once
> so I couldn't simply sync the FA-101 and something else?

FFADO supports device-aggregation since the Freebob times. Its harder to make
it not to aggregate then it is to make it aggregate.

I did successfully run an presonus firepod, a focusrite pro24 and a
development-board all clock-synced and aggregated into one large device. Of
course, the  latencies of the various in- and outputs are not the same as each
device and io-type has a different converter latency. But as that is constant,
its not a problem.

Have fun,

Arnold