[Ardour-Users] Denormals

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Wed Jan 4 10:46:44 PST 2012

On 04/01/12 15:06, Carl Hetherington wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> I gave it some abuse, starting and stopping a lot and jumping around
>> from one marker to another whilst playing. The load eventually shot up
>> to 60% but not much more and stayed there for the time it's taken to
>> write this until just a moment ago (and it's shot back up again [and a
>> few minutes later still dropped back to 32%. And is back up again!
>> {And down again. And up again, I'm getting seasick!}]).
>>
>> So it seems that the processor denormal handling is helping a great
>> deal, but isn't completely resolving the issue.
>
> I've been poking at the denormal thing a little over the last few days.
>
> Are you running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode on your Phenom?
>
> Are you building plugins from source, or could you?
>
> Cheers
>
> Carl

I'm running 32-bit mode, I've never ventured into 64-bit OS territory
yet. Maybe one day :-)

On my previous install (pre-October 2011), I think I once tried building
EQ10Q from source when it first came out and struggled and I think I
might have built IR and possibly the LV2 versions of the SWH ones. But
this time around I'm pretty certain all the plugins I'm using are from
the Ubuntu Studio repositories.

I expect I probably could build them from source, I've just never
bothered to because I've always managed to find them in a repo somewhere.

Cheers