[Ardour-Users] input monitoring
david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:20:37 PST 2012
I'd like to use Ardour in the following way:
A sequencer is driving some (let's say eight)
At first, during "composition", Ardour would
just be used as an eight channel mixer, with
some effect sends per channel.
Whenever DSP load approaches the limit due
to the number of softsynths/samplers, I'd like
to record some of them to tracks in Ardour.
Thus finally, when composition is done, I'd have
eight recorded tracks that I can mix down to
I've found two ways of doing this:
* create eight tracks in Ardour
* connect the synths to their inputs
Then, to make the tracks play through when
transport is rolling:
* set Options -> Monitoring -> Ardour does monitoring
* turn 'Auto Input' off (not green)
* record-enable all tracks
* when recording one synth to a track, I must
first un-enable the record buttons of all
* when recording this way, all other synth
tracks are silent (which is tolerable when
recording a synth driven by a sequencer,
but this makes it impossible to play-through
and record an analogue instrument along with
* create eight buses and eight tracks in Ardour
* connect each synth to a bus and to a track
* more CPU-usage, due to the extra routing
* fader settings of the corresponding
buses' and tracks' effect sends must always
be the same.
Anyone a better idea? Preferably without any of
the downsides. Best would be (1) without the need
to rec-enable all tracks.
The question isn't exactly new , but none of
those answers really helped me.
This somewhat lengthly mail is just my attempt to
provide some workflow context rather than repeating
the same question.
More information about the Ardour-Users