[Ardour-Users] input monitoring

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:57:49 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Lieven Moors wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:20 AM, David Adler <david.jo.adler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Downsides:
>> * when recording one synth to a track, I must
>>  first un-enable the record buttons of all
>>  others.
>>

> I vaguely remember that enabling or disabling "tape machine mode"
> under the monitoring options changes this behaviour.
> Also, I found this document which describes how the different
> monitoring modes react.
>
> http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ardour%20tape%20machine%20monitoring&source=web&cd=6&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harrisonconsoles.com%2Fmixbus%2FArdour_Mixbus_Monitoring_Modes.pdf&ei=kAUrT4iLD86o8AOqrtCPDw&usg=AFQjCNG8-gn4lZesAQ_im0BCdzE66oKRPQ&cad=rja
>
> This might not be of any help, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks Lieven, a very helpful table.
It confirms that the behaviour I wanted to achieve isn't possible
with using just tracks.

To render it in form of a table, I was looking for settings that give
me is this:
http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/544905/
and by now I start to see why implementing that sort of behaviour
for a track would not be a good idea.

Solution:
Using tracks (for recording) and buses (for mixing and effects).
Now I have the input routed into one track and one bus, and the
track's output routed into the bus.
Setting "Mode" to "Normal" and "Auto Input" to "Off", the track
never outputs its input, so the bus doesn't receive two signals
when nothing is recorded on the track.
As soon as I have recorded a track, it is then my own
responsibility to silence/disconnect the source.

That sort of routing is now implemented in my sessions (i.e. in
the default preset found on http://chino.tuxfamily.org), and I'm
happily starting to actually use it. Thanks for all the answers.

best,
david