[Ardour-Users] OT Internet, was Re: SO many problems.

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Dec 19 00:43:12 PST 2012

On 19/12/12 07:53, John Rigg wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:31:42AM +0000, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>> I can't understand why you'd waste money on a landline phone.  Why would
>> you want to pay such a huge amount of money for something you can only
>> use within about two metres of a wall socket in your house?
>
> Here in the UK, mobile phone internet access is too expensive for me to
> use. I also don't like using a 2" screen when using the internet. Both
> are good reasons to pay for a landline so I can have an ADSL connection.

I pay about £5 a month on top of my normal mobile bill for an extra SIM
card that I use in a 3G PCMCIA card, which is connected to an embedded
router board similar to the devices they use for wifi on trains and
buses.  I've got this mounted in the back of my work van, for Internet
access when I'm out on site (or for that matter when I'm off out on an
amateur radio expedition).

> Unless you're one of the few with a direct satellite internet connection
> I don't see how you can connect a computer to the internet without a
> landline somewhere nearby.

Since the late 1990s/early 2000s, I've had cable internet.  Until very
recently (round about the time I moved house, but that's just
coincidence) you could get NTL/Virgin cable without a telephone line.

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ