[Ardour-Users] Parallel compression - Was OT: bus strain on computer resources

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:41:17 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 03:55 PM, John Rigg wrote:

> Here's a quote from one of Bob Olhsson's posts on R/E/P PSW forum
> which at least confirms they were using parallel compression (but
> suggests my memory wasn't entirely accurate regarding the details):
> "the hum. The lead vocal was high-passed to get rid of the hum and then
> parallel-compressed with the highs boosted on the compressor return to give
> it presence. The return was also often run through a Fairchild Auto-Ten noise
> gate. It was a cool, if distorted effect. It sounded like crap with the 16
> track machines so we stopped doing it around 1968."

So, this "parallel compression" was simply a work-around technique
devised to compensate for the lack of high frequency response on a
specific tape machine, that they stopped doing when they got a better
tape machine because it then "sounded like crap?"

And why again are we wanting to do this on digital machines that are
(supposedly) ruler-flat to 20KHz?

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]