[Ardour-Users] Parallel compression - Was OT: bus strain on computer resources

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 13 12:52:48 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 19:56 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> When used to reduce tape noise it would have to be applied to
> individual tracks (lead vocals in the example I mentioned) before
> hitting the tape.

This might be useful for Motown Recordings of the 60s, but even 4-track
cassette recorders from the 80s that where well maintained simply worked
very well using Dolby C. I tend to add noise to modern recordings ;).

Summary

Parallel mixing can be used for stereo sum compression too? It seems to
be used for fat drums nowadays, but also to get more natural sound even
for classical recordings?

It was used for noise reduction in the past.

It could sound more natural, than other compressions, but also could
lead to phase issues.

Maybe I'll test it someday, maybe nor ;).

Regards,
Ralf