[Ardour-Users] bus strain on computer resources

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:46:18 PST 2012

On 12/12/2012 04:46 PM, Al Thompson wrote:

> About putting two busses in parallel with different compressors on each,
> you could more easily accomplish the same thing by putting to
> compressors in series with the channel strip.
>
> Spreading everything out over multiple busses merely makes the entire
> process unnecessarily confusing, and increases the complexity of the act
> of mixing.
>
> Instead of thinking "what possible signal paths can I patch in this
> digital thing, THINK ANALOG.  You'll find that it will speed the process
> up tenfold, and reduce the complexity 90%, while accomplishing the same
> things.

 Yes.

 I tell people this all of the time. There are huge benefits to learning
signal flow on an analog desk, and applying those lessons on a DAW. As
was mentioned in another thread recently by me, on work-flow, those
console work-flows have been refined, and honed for decades, and console
designs have CHANGED to reflect more efficient work-flows, giving us
what we have now, which is really efficient.

 The parallel compression thing sounds like something he read in a
recent version of mix magazine where Jack Douglas and some other
tracking engineers were talking about what they did (and do) when
recording Aerosmith.

 For the most part, I think you can get killer sounds without having to
do all of that. It sounds impressive, but very likely is "making the
entire process unnecessarily confusing, and increasing the complexity of
the act."

 Best,
 Ricardus...