[Ardour-Users] a few thoughts

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:45:59 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Ross Johnson
<Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au>wrote:

> Have you ever been tweaking something only to realise that that particular
> control is not active?

Yes, but a numeric readout doesn't help there at all actually.  A bypass
switch is much more useful in this case

> What you don't want is visual indicators that change when they aren't
> actually having any effect, like a graphic EQ envelope when the EQ is in
> fact in by-pass mode.

Actually that is how any analog control works if the EQ is bypassed, and I
would argue it is a very good thing:)  I would also say that it can be
useful even in other situations in the digital realm, though in most cases
there is also a clear indication if it is bypassed or not.

> Don't you mean valve (predominantly even-order harmonics due to the softer
> saturation) versus transistor clipping (the result approaching a square
> wave is predominantly odd-order harmonics - a square wave is only composed
> of odd-order harmonics). Both are analog.
>

> Digital clipping is like transistor clipping. We prefer the even-order
> harmonics over the odd-order harmonics.

Heh figures I would trust my memory rather than confirm it, thanks for the
correction.  My point still stands of course in that digital distortion
from clipping more closely resembles the square wave and the nasty sounds:)

       Seablade