[Ardour-Users] a few thoughts

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:36:27 PST 2012

On 12/04/2012 04:16 PM, Adriano Petrosillo wrote:

> I think I know my way around DAWs, I'm not an expert but I'm not a
> total novice either, but I'd STILL like to have a way of building my
> own interface. Bear in mind that I don't have a "Mackie Control" unit,
> or similar, and I mix with mouse and keyboard, but even if I had
> one... if I want to tweak EQ on a track, why should I have to open its
> GUI every time? Why can't I conjure up a custom interface, with
> standard widgets and elements, in an internal "Track Editor", where
> each pot refers to a particular parameter in a particular plugin... so
> that I can simply tweak it from the main panel? It's basically the
> difference, on hardware, between having a pot and an internal trimmer:
> sure, both things work - they basically do the same thing - but why do
> I have to open it up in order to tweak settings?

I don't think that's a valid example.

How about "opening a GUI" is comparable to "rolling your chair over to
the outboard rack in other to adjust settings on an outboard piece of
gear," the same as "opening a GUI to adjust settings on 'outboard gear'"?

If I understand, you basically want to "duplicate all the knobs of the
outboard gear on the physical console."

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]