[Ardour-Users] Audio drive - file system?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 20 06:43:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 08:36 -0500, Brett Clark wrote:
>         > XFS is a good filesystem for media (ie large) files on a
>         dedicated AV
>         > partition. More here:
>         >
>         > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XFS_Filesystem
>         That's the Wiki, but could you please explain why somebody
>         should use
>         something exotic?
>

> I apologize if im misunderstanding, but is XFS really considered
> "exotic"?  I cant speak for other distros but I use Fedora and its
> readily available on that.  After reading the wiki, i would be very
> interested in seeing some metrics comparing XFS with both the EXT's.

I guess default for most distros is ext4 and ext4 is nearly the same as
ext3. I never heard of issues using ext3 or ext4 and I never experienced
issues myself.

Btw. at the moment I play with LVM on a virtual machine. I wouldn't use
LVM for serious audio work. It might be that performance is ok, but I
won't trust LVM, since it could become very freaky. IOW if gparted can't
handle it, don't use it for serious audio work. I'm not sure it this is
a true rule of thumb ;).