[Ardour-Users] Audio drive - file system?

Brett Clark brett.clark at zirous.com
Mon Aug 20 06:14:21 PDT 2012

Yes, avoid USB if you can.  They're great for portability and backups, but
not for performance.  One of the hardware guys at my office told me that
although our USB drives are 2.0 compatible, the actual throughput speed is
closer to USB 1.

You never mentioned how many tracks you are expecting or the sample rate.
 I have a separate drive in my machine (SATA-2 7800rpm) and have pushed 24
tracks at 24/96 ( 16 out and 8 in ) without any issues.  Im not sure if my
track count is the norm or not.

Also, the 'noatime' is a good thing to set (as previously mentioned by
Nick) , but would only effect the tracks being read because the tracks
being written will still update the inode with the modified time (mtime).
 But that tweak is almost a freebie because most people dont care about
access time anyway.  Another thing is that drives can have their read-ahead
modified and can help performance when a lot of tracks are being played
back.  You will have to play with those settings to find optimum amount.

--Brett