[Ardour-Users] Audio drive ?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 18:13:58 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Nick <seeyoushortly at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Is it recommended, while using ardour, to have a separate hard drive for the audio files? And this would  mean a separate drive for the whole ardour file too.
> At the moment I am running everything from one hard drive on my PC. I am trying to get it running more smoothly.

Yes, indeed, it's a very good idea, and you will want a fast drive
(7200 rpm SATA is a good choice). Other tweaks to make, to eke out a
bit more performance, turn off any "eye candy" effects (like if you
are running Compiz), and turn off unnecessary backgrounds, if
possible. Running a light(er)weight window manager like xfce or
Fluxbox is helpful also, big bloated desktop environments like Gnome
or KDE can chew up resources, especially if you are running on
older/slower hardware with less than 2GB of RAM.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com