[Ardour-Users] ardour - linux to mac - fail and crash

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Aug 17 06:25:44 PDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 01:23 PM, Wendy Van Wynsberghe wrote:
> hello hello,
>
> One day later - and strange but good news
>

> In Linux I removed all plugins of my Ardour sessions, I saved and then
> I took a snapshot of my session.

Did you make many snapshots? One after removing each plugin? Were you
able to track it down to which plugin(s) causes the issue?

> The plugin I used most was Ladspa multiband equalizer - not something exotic.
> On one session I used a Calf compressor, but that's about it..

Do you have any of those plugins available on OSX? And if yes: did you
compile or install them yourself (not using the ones shipped with Ardour)?

>From the crash-log you posted - crash in libfftw3f.3.dylib -
The most likely explanation is that there is more than one "libfftw3f"
installed on your system, Ardour2 ships one in its application bundle.
It seems that some plugin(s) expect(s) a different version.

There should be a warning printed on the "Console".  sth like
"ld: warning: duplicate dylib .. "

> - When I open my saved session it crashes
> - When I open the snapshots all is fine
>
> O, and Seablade, the OsX Ardour works like a charm otherwise - I
> tweaked it myself for the studio, updating the drivers for the
> hammerfall card etc..
> So creating a new session is easy
>
> For ergonomics sake: do I delete the session and it's history?
> Keep only the snapshot?

Snapshots are just a copy of the .ardour XML file. Usually a few 100 KB.
Audio-files are not duplicated (ardour is non-destructive).

It may affect the cleanup-feature:
   Session -> Cleanup -> cleanup unused sources

If a source is still used in one of the snapshots, it shouldn't get
cleaned up, but I'm uncertain if that is actually the case. Ardour3
currently does not check the snapshots, that may be a bug though.