[Ardour-Users] jackd help?

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Aug 10 18:21:38 PDT 2012

Greetings,

I am a relatively inexperienced jackd/ardour user - Debian Squeeze OS.

ii  ardour-i686                          1:2.8.11-3
    digital audio workstation (graphical gtk2 interface) [i686]
ii  jackd2                               1.9.6~dfsg.1-2
    JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)

I used to have a functional ardour setup (on a mix of pre-Squeeze
packages) for simple sound recordings and just bought a second hard
disk to install Squeeze onto. I believe my success on the other hard
drive must have been due to some amount of luck.

I have a tape deck hooked up to the laptop's mic input (with RCA to
1/8" audio jack cable.) A portable music player's record functionality
tells me that a signal is coming out, but when I plug into the laptop,
I don't see anything in the meter.

I am using qjackctl to spawn jackd and here is my .jackdrc (I grabbed
this file off of the old hard disk.):
/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2

Here is the output of /proc/asound/devices
  2:        : timer
  3:        : sequencer
  4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  7: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
  8: [ 0]   : control

Any suggestions on how to debug jackd not seeing signal on the mic
input on a laptop?

Thanks for the help!

-mz