[Ardour-Users] Portable non-firewire interface for Linux laptop w/ at least 8 mic pres?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 08:35:41 PDT 2011

Hey Paul,

Linux Audio User is probably a more appropriate place to ask, as your
question isn't really Ardour specific.

Do you need low-latencies? If your *only* recording live gigs, then you can
get away with huge latencies no problem...
If you want low-latency 8 channel I/O, you're pretty much going to have to
stay away from USB gear, there isn't enough bandwidth there to provide high
sample-rate multiple channel audio.

I will advise the PCMCIA / ExpressCard route with a firewire soundcard. My
experiences with the Echo cards is fantastic, and they have an 8
channel-with pre's unit. Its definatly *not* budget though...
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFirePre8/index.php

Good luck, -Harry

PS: Took the liberty to also sent this to the LAU list