[Ardour-Users] Fw: can't get midi to work

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:50:56 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use Ubuntu Studio, it's been fine for me. I turn off a lot of stuff
>> like automatic updating, and I don't use the distro versions of the
>> apps I use like Rosegarden and Ardour and prefer to compile them by
>> hand (I also use MixBus).
>>

> At that point aren't you bypassing most of the 'benefits' of Ubuntu?
> Its a perfect example of what I was trying to say;)  Its not that it
> can't be used, its that it is more of a pain to use than other
> choices.

Well, I still get the benefits of many of the other things like
drivers, codecs, and other media authoring tools. Ubuntu is admittedly
way behind on their Rosegarden distribution, that's for sure. Ardour
is pretty up to date.

I'm not saying Ubuntu is the best choice, of course... I used Gentoo
for many years but found I spent more time fiddling with Gentoo (which
is what it's *great* for) and trying to find the correct drivers for
stuff and getting them to work than I did actually making music.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com