[Ardour-Users] Linux distributions

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 07:07:38 PDT 2011

Greetings,

Since Nick Ramm asked about Linux distros for audio work I might as well
mention that my next two articles for the Linux Journal are reviews of
Arch and AV Linux. I had to replace 64 Studio 2.1 on my 64-bit machine,
Arch is now on that box, and AV Linux will soon replace one of two
Ubuntu systems here.

I wanted to install the Planet CCRMA packages on Fedora 14, but after a
relatively painless installation F14 balked at accepting the latest
nVidia driver (yes, I need it). Fedora looked great though, and I might
still install it on another yet-to-be-purchased drive.

AV Linux gets my vote for Nick's immediate purposes. I think a novice
could probably navigate his way through an entire Arch installation, but
I doubt it would be a comfortable cruise. AV Linux is likely to be a
more relaxed experience.

My Ubuntu 10.04 systems work well, but they did require some tweaks
before reaching that happy condition. I'd recommend AV Linux over stock
Ubuntu. I haven't tried Ubuntu Studio recently, so I can't say how it
compares.

My two yuan.

Best,

dp