[Ardour-Users] 64bits

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:15:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Nando <nandinga at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that we are in the mood these days, I have a question to ask. I've
> seen this benchmarks
> http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?21227-Ubuntu-32-bit-32-bit-PAE-64-bit-Benchmarks
> and started asking myself, why are we still stuck on 32bits? Is anybody
> using 64bit linux distro for audio? Its only me stuck?? hehe...
> Those benchmarks show HUGE differences in performance, and from the comments
> I've learned that what you get is to use all registers in the CPU, which are
> not used when running 32bit soft.

I'm still using a 32-bit machine for audio right now, but am getting a
brand new 64-bit box for audio soon. However, I do have a 64-bit
machine I use for video editing and graphics, and have an awesome
64-bit laptop for work (yes, all running Linux, of course). There's no
question that 64-bit rocks!

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com