[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:42:47 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com> wrote:

> By "bounce," do you mean "consolidate" or "freeze?"  I don't really
> understand what those options are doing.

Consolidate, Bounce, and Freeze are all different terms for similar,
but distinct functions.  What exactly they do varies from DAW to DAW,
and I can't always keep straight what Ardour refers to them as. Going
off memory...

Consolidate - Used to make a single audio region and file from
multiple audio regions without any processing added.  Typically if you
consolidate a track it will create one large region for all regions on
the track by creating a new soundfile on disk.

Bounce - Typically used to create a new audiofile to represent a
region on disk.  Generally refers to doing this with processing.  In
Ardour's case this will create a new region in the region list to drag
onto a track.

Freeze - Generally creates a new region in place IIRC with all
processing.  Typically used to bypass all processing on the track and
save CPU cycles.

     Seablade