[Ardour-Users] Archive media

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Oct 5 13:41:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:30:13 -0600
Jason Jones <poeticintensity at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for using RAID in a DAW.  I currently employ a simple RAID-1 for
> mirroring and protecting my DAW from hard drive failure, and I'm still able
> to record 9 simultaneous streams just fine.  Any other reason why using RAID
> in a DAW could be a bad idea?  I've only had good experience with it...

My only point was that using hardware-based RAID controllers can bite
you if the controller itself is what dies.  I like RAID a lot and use
it extensively, though not in the studio, where I record to a SSD, which
backs up nightly to another drive internally, and then that drive gets
backed up using rsync to an offsite server.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com