[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

fukked up fukked_up at gmx.net
Wed Oct 5 10:08:52 PDT 2011

Am 05.10.2011 13:39, schrieb Thomas Vecchione:
> my plan is to eventually implement the ability to record to
> FLAC, it causes a performance hit, but in initial testing it seemed
> acceptable.
Why do you want to encode while recording? Doesn't make sense to me.
You'd have to encode on recording and to decode on playback, rendering
etc. everywhere where it hurts and very often.
I planned to archive my ~1TB ardour sessions with a script that encodes
every *.wav into FLAC and then tar the whole project for easier
synchronisation. One big file is read faster than several small ones.
You need a second script to get the session back again. You only have to
encode when you've finished editing and to decode when you actually want
to use an already archived project.
There's no need to keep the project, that you're currently working on,
small.

Another 25% space can be saved by setting the wave format to 24 bits
instead of default(wonder why) 32b float. As most soundcards have 24 bit
adc you should not lose precision on recording.
/mn0